Popular Post

Monday, March 29, 2010

Alabama Chanin

I am having trouble wrapping my mind around Alabama Chanin and I don't know why.  I first read about Natalie Chanin on Anna Maria Horner's  blog the first of this month.  Then Heather Ross wrote about her and her label.  Alabama Studio Style looks like a book that would totally inspire me.  But there is something that makes me slightly uncomfortable.

I have changed my style and creative process a whole lot in the last half year or so.  Everything I do is much more organic and almost rustic.  My next quilt will be Daiwabo fabrics....and if that isn't earthy I don't know what is.

Alabama Chanin....hmmm.  Their line is beyond my pocket book, but I want to own some of the items, so I guess I need to make them.  Sort of like when I became overwhelmed with the Gee's Bend quilts and wanted to make one.  But I can't.  The patterns and kits are out there, but after reading their book and getting the feel of who these ladies are it is better left undone.  And certainly not a copy made by me.

I believe these ideas and designs will flop around in my head for a while and blend with 'me' and my own work will emerge.  I have moved from working with cloth to fabric to textiles and who knows what else I will call it (or myself)...a fiber artist maybe!  I do feel a bit full of myself and a definite 'wannabe'......this is probably what is worrying me about Alabama Chanin.  I'm gonna get the book tho!

No comments:

Post a Comment